Saturday, March 31, 2007

'Reading Newspaper Advertisements, I come face to face with what I don't need"

It’s nice to be able to sit down quietly for a change. My sons are watching a Winnie the Pooh movie. My daughter is napping in the other room. Wifey is away with sister buying a much needed pair of shoes.

Finally, I’m able to sit down and read the Singapore English Newspaper, something I want to do but am not able to, geographically speaking.

I come face to face with ‘oodles’ of things promising convenience, prestige and acceptance. I really never thought I’d feel or think this way. Living in a foreign culture and helping others [1st group] with much less than I have AND THEN in turn helping others [2nd group] who have far less than [1st group] they have, I come face to face with how much do I really need.

Being back in Singapore, I can’t help but notice the number of shoes people have. They are no means comparable to the infamous Imelda Marcos, but the question is “how many pairs of feet does a person have?”

I remember the time when mould used to grow on my shoes because they never saw the ‘light of day.’

....We actually need far less than we have.

No comments: